Monday, May 29, 2006

Nice, the Flower Market, and a Bandol rosé

I just got back from a short visit to my family near Nice. When I am at my parents' house, one of my favorite activities is a stroll in the old town of Nice and through the famous Flower Market on the Cours Saleya. This popular place, which is lined with cafés, seafood restaurants and souvenir shops, is filled every morning with flowers, fruits, and vegetable stalls.



So last Wednesday, we drove to Nice and parked near the old town. After a leisurely walk through the stalls, we had lunch at one of the many seafood restaurants facing the market. For me, it was an opportunity to enjoy some of the classic Mediterranean specialties that are sometimes hard to find in California.


Mediterranean Fish Soup with rouille



Grilled Sardines


With our food, we ordered a bottle of Bandol Rosé that coincidently happened to be another Bandol from La Bastide Blanche. The wine had a lovely salmon color with light and fresh aromas on the nose. On the palate, it was dry, crisp and balanced with a touch of honey and stone fruit flavors.

In the south of France, people rarely drink white wine with seafood. They prefer rosé, which, when you think about it, is not a bad idea at all.

Technorati tags::

2 comments:

Kuassi Mensah said...

Yumm! I miss the grilled sardines; these reminds me summer BBQ in France. Do you know a place in the Bay Area where we can have a real Mediterranean fish soup?

Catherine Granger said...

I have heard of Chez Nous 1911 Fillmore St. SF. a small restaurant specialized in Provençale cuisine but I have never been there...